Who doesn’t love chocolate muffins… and hot out of the oven they are irresistible.
They are very easy to make and this recipe will take less than ten minutes to prepare and just over ten minutes to cook.
This recipe will make around 12 average sized muffins or 6 to 8 super sized muffins.
To keep things simple I use a cup measure. The cup should hold approximately 250 ml / 8 fl oz of liquid.
Chocolate Muffins – Ingredients
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- Half cup sugar
- Quarter cup cocoa powder
- Half cup chocolate chips
- 100 g butter (or usual spread)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (I use soy)
- Half cup natural yoghurt
- Half teaspoon vanilla essence (optional)
- Spray oil for muffin tray
Chocolate Muffins – Method
- Put flour, sugar, cocoa powder and chocolate chips in a bowl and mix
- In a separate bowl heat the butter in the microwave until just melted
- Add the egg, milk, yoghurt and vanilla essence to the melted butter and mix
- Add this liquid to the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined
- Spray muffin tray with oil and spoon chocolate muffins mixture evenly into tray
- Baked in moderate oven until risen and firm to the touch (12-14 mins for average sized muffins – longer for super sized)
- Once cooked, allow to cool on the baking tray for a couple of minutes before carefully taking them out
- Eat straight away or allow to cool on a wire rack
- If you don’t have any yoghurt, just add more milk
- Instead of yoghurt, add a mashed ripe banana to the mix instead
- Use this recipe to make around 20 cup cake sized muffins instead – they’ll take less time to cook of course
- To test if the muffins are cooked, carefully press your finger on top of one of them – if it’s spongy, they are cooked
- You can also insert a thin skewer into one of the muffins to test if they are cooked – the skewer should come out ‘clean’ with no wet bits on it
- Try not to over mix the muffin mixture – over mixing takes all the ‘air’ out of the mix
- Don’t forget to offer the mixing bowl for ‘licking’ – I usually leave a few chocolate chips in there too 🙂
- Chocolate muffins freeze well – if you have any left that is!
- They are also great for the school lunch box
How easy was that!
Thanks for visiting my website.
You can leave comments and feedback below and share on social media using the icons.
Have fun in the kitchen!