The next time you have roast chicken, don’t throw away the carcass – use it to make this chicken stock recipe.
Chicken stock is a great base for soups, chowders, casseroles and rice dishes. I always try to have a supply in the freezer, ready to defrost and use.
The preparation time for this chicken stock recipe is less than ten minutes. Cooking time around 1 hour.
Chicken Stock Recipe – Ingredients
- One roast chicken carcass
- 1 Onion – cut into quarters
- 2 or 3 carrots – each cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- 2 or 3 sticks of celery – each cut into 3 or 4 pieces
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves – each cut in half
- 1 or 2 dried bay leafs
- 1 tomato – cut in half
- 8-10 black pepper corns – whole
- 2 – 3 litres of water – enough to cover carcass
Chicken Stock Recipe – Method
- Put all ingredients into a large pan
- Bring to the boil and simmer for around 1 hour
- Allow to cool a little then strain – throw away the veggies
- Store chicken stock in air-tight containers in the fridge or freezer until required
Handy Tips and Variations
- I prefer to take any left-over skin off the carcass before making the stock (the skin is full of saturated fats)
- Take out any left-over stuffing from the chicken cavity – you don’t really want that in your stock
- Chicken stock will keep for 2 or 3 days in the fridge – or freeze for a month or so until required
- You can use uncooked chicken bones in place of a roast chicken carcass
- For a Veggie Stock just leave out the chicken carcass and add some extra vegetables – cabbage works really well
- For a Fish Stock use raw fish bones or a fish head in place of the chicken carcass
Thanks for visiting my website.
You can follow Dinner in Ten Minutes on Facebook.