The next time you fancy making an apple dessert, have a go at this very easy Apple Turnover Cake. Apple Crumble is another easy apple dessert.
This cake uses a moist almond cake recipe for the top – well the bottom when you turn it over 🙂 …and I like to use quite a lot of apples – 4 or 5 medium sized or 3 or 4 large.
It only takes around ten minutes to prepare and is absolutely delicious.
To keep things simple I use a cup measure. The cup should hold approx 250 ml / 8 fl oz of liquid.
Apple Turnover Cake – Ingredients
- 150 g / 5 oz soft butter (or usual spread)
- Half cup castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup self raising flour
- Third cup milk (I use soy)
- 4 to 5 medium sized apples – peeled and cored – cut into thin slices
- Oil spray to prepare baking tin
Apple Turnover Cake – Method
- Add the butter, castor sugar and vanilla essence to the food processor and whiz until creamy and smooth
- Add the eggs and whiz some more
- Add the almond meal and whiz again
- Add the flour and and milk and whiz for the last time
- Prepare a 22cm/9 in cake tin by spraying the bottom and sides with oil spray then lining with baking paper
- Arrange the sliced apples on the bottom of the cake tin – not too many in the centre (otherwise the cake might end up soggy in the middle)
- Carefully add the cake mix on top of the apples and smooth
- Bake in a moderate oven for around 40 minutes – a skewer should come out nice and clean when inserted into the centre of the cake
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a serving plate
- Serve warm, just on it’s own or with a dollop of fresh cream – nice 🙂
Variations and Handy Hints
- Make sure the cake is cooked in the centre – you don’t want it to be soggy in the middle
- Try adding a handful of frozen blackberries to the apples
- I’m sure it would work equally well with sliced pears
- Best served warm
- Try it with a dollop of cream or with custard
- Get yourself an apple slinky that will peel and core apples just by turning a handle – a great time saver in the kitchen
- This Apple Turnover Cake will store for a day or two – but I doubt it will last that long
Thanks for visiting my website. Please leave comments below.
You can follow Dinner in Ten Minutes on Facebook.
You might also enjoy: