Who doesn’t love a crumble?
This pear and blackberry crumble recipe is quick and easy to make and you can choose whether to use fresh, tinned or frozen fruit. I used fresh pears and frozen blackberries.
If you choose to use fresh, choose pears that are just ripe – not too hard and not too soft/mushy.
To keep things simple I use a cup measure. The cup should hold around 8 fl oz / 250 ml of liquid.
Pear and Blackberry Crumble Recipe – Ingredients
- Fresh pears – allow around one per person – peeled and cored (or you can used tinned – use only a third of the liquid)
- Few handfuls of blackberries – frozen or fresh
- One cup plain flour
- 4oz/100g soft butter (or your usual spread)
- Quarter cup raw brown sugar (or your usual sugar)
- Half cup flaked almonds
Pear and Blackberry Crumble Recipe – Method
- Thinly slice the pear and place in an oven-proof dish
- Scatter over the blackberries
- Put the flour and butter into a separate bowl and using your fingers rub together until it resembles bread crumbs (I use disposable gloves to do this)
- Next add the sugar and almonds and mix together
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit and bake in a moderately hot oven for around 30 minutes – the crumble should be nicely browned on top
- Serve with ice-cream or custard or fresh cream (or all three )
Handy Hints and Variations
- You can use almost any fruit for a crumble and there any many topping variations – for 180 crumble combinations check out Crumble Recipe e-book
- Make sure the crumble topping is nicely browned before taking it out of the oven
- Blackberries are quite strong in flavour and will turn the pear a beautiful blue/purple colour – don’t use too many or they will overpower the pear
- Using disposable gloves to rub together the flour and butter is a worthwhile tip – very messy otherwise
Hope you enjoy this tasty crumble recipe.
Thanks for visiting my website.
You can follow Dinner in Ten Minutes on Facebook.
You might also enjoy: