You can use frozen white fish fillets (skinless and deboned are best) straight from the freezer for this baked fish with tomato sauce recipe.
It’s quick and easy to make and delicious served with rice or jacket potatoes.
Preparation time is around ten minutes and this recipe will serve 4.
Let’s get started:-
Baked Fish – Ingredients
- 4 flaky fish fillets – no bones – fresh or frozen
- Small onion, chopped
- Oil for frying onion (I use olive oil)
- Large tin tomatoes (approx 800g)
- Half teaspoon sugar
- Teaspoon dried basil
- Half a lemon, cut into 2 wedges
- Heaped tablespoon capers
- 1 and a half cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Quarter cup Parmesan cheese
Baked Fish – Method
- Heat oil in pan and fry onion until soft
- Add tomatoes, sugar, dried basil, lemon wedges and capers
- Bring to the boil, stir and then simmer gently for around 10 minutes
- While tomato sauce is simmering, mix together bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese
- Empty tomato sauce into oven proof dish
- Place fish fillets on top of the tomato sauce
- Sprinkle breadcrumb mix on top (see photo – half prepared)
- Bake in moderate oven for around 15 minutes – longer if the fish fillets are very thick
- Remove lemon wedges when serving Baked Fish
- Serve with boiled rice
- Serve with boiled or jacket potatoes
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley just before serving
- If you have time, prepare a nice green salad to serve on the side
- Don’t forget to remove the lemon wedges
Handy Tips and Variations
- Suggest you use flaky white fish fillets that are not too thick
- If fish fillets are thick and frozen, allow to thaw slightly before cooking
- Try not to overcook the fish as it will become tough
- If you have time, add a chopped capsicum (any colour) to the tomato mix
- Add some black olives to the tomato sauce (stones removed)
- Bread crumbs should be nicely browned on top of the baked fish when cooked
- Again, don’t forget to remove the lemon wedges when serving!
Thanks for visiting my website. I look forward to reading your comments.
You might also enjoy: