You can cook beef stroganoff in a pan on top of the stove; in a casserole in the oven; or in a slow cooker.
This recipe uses the slow cooker, but it’s easily adapted. The ingredients are exactly the same, but the cooking times would change.
It’s important to use lean beef for beef stroganoff, but it’s not necessary to buy the best cut for slow cooking. Beef that would end up tough and chewy if cooked for a short time on the stove top will be tender and succulent after hours in the slow cooker.
One of the great things about slow cooking is the preparation time – which is less than ten minutes for this recipe!
This recipe will serve approx 4 people. So let’s get started.
Beef Stroganoff – Ingredients
- 500g/1 lb lean beef, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- approx 450g (15 ozs) can crushed or chopped tomatoes
- approx 200ml (one-third pint) of stock (beef, chicken or vegetable) – or water
- approx 250g (9 ozs) tin sliced mushrooms, drained – or use sliced fresh mushrooms
- approx 150ml (one-quarter pint) sour cream
- Chopped fresh Parsley – optional
Beef Stroganoff – Method
- Put all ingredients, except mushrooms and sour cream, in the slow cooker
- Stir well and cook for approx 4 hours on low setting – or approx 3 hours on higher setting
- One hour before serving add the mushrooms
- 10 minutes before serving add the sour cream
- Serve at the table, sprinkled with fresh parsley
- Serve Beef Stroganoff with pasta, rice, boiled potatoes or jacket potatoes
- For dessert, why not try Apple Crumble
- Add more stock/water if the mixture is getting too dry
- Add more sour cream if you prefer it more creamy
- Leave out the tomato paste if you prefer it less tomato-y
- If you’d prefer no tomato ‘lumps’, use a tin of tomato puree instead of chopped/crushed tomatoes
- If you are cooking this on the stove top, cook the onions and brown the beef in a little oil before adding other ingredients
Thanks for visiting my website.
You can follow Dinner in Ten Minutes on Facebook.
You might also enjoy: