Chili Con Carne is a family favorite and is quick and easy to make. Preparation time is around ten minutes and it only takes around 20 minutes to cook.
This recipe will serve approx 4 people, but as chili con carne freezes well I suggest you double up and freeze some for later.
Chili Con Carne – Ingredients
- Oil for frying (I use Olive Oil)
- Onion, chopped
- Approx 1 lb / 500g good quality beef mince
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 1 chopped chili or half tea spoon ground hot chili (more or less, to taste)
- Quarter tea spoon ground cayenne pepper (more or less, to taste)
- Good shake of Worcestershire Sauce (at least a table spoon)
- 1 table spoon tomato paste
- Approx 26 oz/800g tin of tomatoes (preferably chopped)
- Approx 13 oz/400g tin of Red Kidney Beans – drained
Chili Con Carne – Method
- Fry chopped onion in oil until soft
- Add mince and stir with the onion until the mince is browned
- Add the Paprika, Chillies and Cayenne Pepper and stir for a minute
- Add the Worcestershire Sauce and Tomato Paste and stir
- Add the Tomatoes and drained Red Kidney Beans and stir
- Bring to the boil and simmer slowly for around 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Serve with rice, grated cheese and sour cream (more serving suggestions below)
Handy Hints and Variations
- You can serve with cooked white or brown rice – or with oven baked potatoes
- Grated cheese sprinkled on top is nice (I like to use a strong cheddar)
- Sour cream served on the side is also delicious
- Add chili and cayenne pepper to taste
- Double up the recipe and freeze some for later
Thanks for visiting Dinner in Ten Minutes.
You can follow Dinner in Ten Minutes on Facebook and leave comments below.