Ratatouille is quick and easy to make and delicious served as a side dish.
It’s also perfect for veggie lasagna, so make more than you need and use the left-overs to make a vegetable lasagna the following day.
You might also like to check out my Vegetarian Pizza.
You can use a range of vegetables, so don’t feel tide to just using exactly the same ones I used. I suggest alternatives in “Handy Hints and Variations” below.
This ratatouille recipe will serve around 6 people, as a side dish.
Let’s get started:
Ratatouille Recipe – Ingredients
- 2 or 3 tablespoons oil (I use olive oil)
- Small bunch of spring onions – chopped
- 1 small egg plant – chopped
- 1 large or two small pepper (any colour – I used red) – chopped
- 2 or 3 courgettes/zucchinis – chopped
- 1 large stick of celery – chopped
- 3 or 4 large tomatoes – chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 2 table spoons chopped fresh parsley – or 1 tea spoon dried – optional
- 2 table spoons chopped fresh basil – or 1 tea spoon dried – optional
- 2 table spoons tomato paste/puree
Ratatouille Recipe – Method
- Gently heat the oil in a large pan
- Add everything bar the tomatoes, garlic, herbs and tomato paste and stir for a couple of minutes
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and herbs and stir for another couple of minutes
- Add the tomato paste and stir though to combine
- Turn the heat to low and gently simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- The ratatouille is ready when all the veggies are soft
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Handy Hints and Variations
- If you are planning on making veggie lasagne with the ratatouille, chop all the veggies quite small (see photos)
- As mentioned earlier, you can use other vegetables, including broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and brown or red onions (instead of spring onions)
- Don’t be tempted to add liquid at the beginning – as the veggies cook they will release their own liquid
- Try different herbs – fresh is you have them
- You can add a drained tin of pulses
- For a bit of a ‘kick’ add some chilli (fresh or dried)
- Ratatouille can be served hot or cold
- You can reheat this ratatouille recipe in the oven and let it go a bit crispy on top – nice 🙂
- You can also reheat in the microwave
Look out for Vegetable Lasagne (using left-over ratatouille) coming soon.
Thanks for visiting my website.
You can follow Dinner in Ten Minutes on Facebook.
You can leave any comments below.
You might also enjoy: