Spaghetti Bolognese has got to be one of the easiest and tastiest quick meals on the planet – and I ALWAYS double the quantity so I can use the left over to make a super quick Lasagna within the next couple of days.
That way you get two dinners for the effort of one. Cool eh!
This recipe will serve around 6 people and take about 10 minutes to prepare, then 30 minutes to cook.
Remember to double the quantities if you fancy making a quick Lasagna in a day or two.
…and if you haven’t got any of the ‘optional’ ingredients, just leave them out – it will still taste great with just the basic ingredients.
Spaghetti Bolognese – Ingredients
- 2 or 3 tablespoons oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 onion diced
- 2 or 3 carrots diced
- 1 or 2 sticks celery (optional) chopped small
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500g / 1lb good quality beef mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree (optional)
- Good few shakes of dried basil
- Good few shakes of dried oregano/marjoram/thyme (all optional)
- Couple of bay leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 800g / 30 oz tin of diced tomatoes
- Grated Parmesan cheese to serve
Spaghetti Bolognese – Method
- Gently fry the onion, carrots and celery in the oil until soft
- Add the crushed garlic and stir for another minute
- Add the mince and stir until browned
- Add everything else and stir well
- Bring to the boil and simmer for around 30 minutes with the lid off, stirring occasionally
- No points for you if you guessed …serve with spaghetti
- Try other pastas too – tips on cooking pasta
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese
- Spag Bol is also nice served with boiled rice – tips on cooking rice
- Garlic bread goes wonderfully served with Spaghetti Bolognese
- Using thawed frozen pastry make bolognese samosas – nice!
- For a more traditional Spaghetti Bolognese use 50/50 beef mince and pork mince
- I sometimes like to add sliced mushrooms – fresh or from a tin
- Chopped capsicum (any colour) is also a nice addition
- Try adding 250ml of white or red wine after browning the mince – bring to the boil and reduce the liquid/wine by at least half – stirring occasionally
- Of course you can use fresh tomatoes if you have them – I leave the skin on
- You can use fresh herbs too
What did I tell you. Spaghetti Bolognese is simple to make – and super tasty to eat.
Thank you for visiting my website. You can leave comments and suggestions below.