You’ll definitely want to make this salad again – it’s delicious!
Jamie’s Herby Salad on page 44 of his book “Jamie’s 30 minute meals”. Another recipe review from my Jamie Oliver Recipes series.
I used ordinary bacon in this recipe (because I didn’t have any pancetta in the fridge at the time) and I also omitted the tarragon (for the same reason).
The fennel seeds smelled absolutely delicious as they were cooking with the bacon – and they tasted even better. The grapes added a sweet contrast to the other flavours – and the dressing was the icing on the cake!
My score – 8 out of 10.
Let’s get started:
Jamie’s Herby Salad – Ingredients
- 8 rashers of pancetta (I used ordinary bacon)
- 1 clove of garlic, squashed and unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 x 100g/4oz bag of prewashed rocket and/or watercress
- small bunch of fresh mint
- small bunch of fresh tarragon
- large handful or red, green or mixed grapes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- half a lemon – juice
Jamie’s Herby Salad – Method
- Put the pancetta into an empty frying pan and cook over medium heat
- Add the garlic
- Once the rashers are golden, turn over and add the fennel seeds
- Cook until pancetta is crispy
- Meanwhile, put the rocket/watercress into a large serving bowl and add the mint and tarragon leaves and the grapes
- Add the pancetta and fennel seeds – discard the garlic
- Make the dressing by mixing together in a jar the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice – season with salt and pepper to taste
- Take to the table and add the dressing to the salad just before serving
Handy Hints and Variations
- As mentioned, I used ordinary bacon instead of pancetta and it worked fine
- I also omitted the tarragon because I didn’t have any in the fridge
- I cut the bacon into small pieces before adding to the salad – I would probably do the same with pancetta
- I cut the grapes in half – suggest you do this if the grapes are large
- It would be worth making double quantity of the dressing and leaving the remainder in the fridge to dress another salad in a day or two
- Jamie doesn’t mention in his book about discarding the garlic, but I’m sure it wouldn’t go into the finished salad
Have a go at making this yummy salad. It’s super easy to make and very tasty!
Look out for more reviews for Jamie Oliver Recipes. You can visit Jamie’s website at JamieOliver.com.
Thanks for visiting my website.
You can follow Dinner in Ten Minutes of Facebook.
You might also enjoy: