You can cook this Chicken Cacciatore recipe in the slow cooker or in the oven. Either way, your preparation time will be around ten minutes.
It will serve around 4 people
Let’s get started:
Chicken Cacciatore – Ingredients
- 6-8 chicken thighs cut in half (skin removed) – or chicken drumsticks (skin removed)
- 800g (28ozs) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion – diced
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- 2 table spoons tomato puree
- 1 tea spoon sugar
- 2 table spoons fresh basil or 1 tea spoons dried basil
- 2 table spoons capers
- 10-12 black olives
- 1 small tin anchovies, drained and chopped into small pieces
- Fresh parsley to ganish, chopped (don’t use dried)
Chicken Cacciatore – Method
- Put everything bar the fresh parsley into the slow cooker (or casserole dish if you are cooking in the oven)
- Stir and cover with slow cooker/casserole dish lid
- Cook on slow setting for 4-6 hours (around 1 hour in a moderate oven – make sure chicken is properly cooked)
- Just before serving add fresh parsley
- Serve at the table with a big bowl of brown or white rice
- Also nice with jacket potatoes or boiled potatoes
- Serve with Garlic Bread
- If you have time, prepare a dressed green salad
- Add fresh chili or chili flakes for a spicy alternative – very nice!
- Use chicken drum sticks (skin removed) instead of thighs, or a combination of both
- If you have time, omit the black olives and add some crispy cooked bacon pieces towards the end of cooking
- Remember, all slow cookers are different, so if you’re using your slow cooker for the first time, I suggest you stay at home and keep an eye on it. You can check it’s working okay and the food is not getting too dry
- If, at the end of cooking, the mixture is too runny, try this:
- Spoon off most of the liquid with a soup spoon and place in a saucepan
- Boil fairly rapidly on the stove until it reduces by half
- Then add the liquid back into the slow cooker/casserole dish
- You can also thicken thesauce with a couple of table spoonfuls of corn flour, mixed to a smooth paste with a little water
- If the mixture is too thick, add some chicken stock (or water).
Thanks for visiting my website.
You can follow Dinner in Ten Minutes on Facebook.
You might also enjoy: