Just a quick post on cooking rice in a microwave.
Most microwaves have a cooking rice option. It’s very quick, easy and non-messy – and makes excellent fluffy rice.
Leftover rice can be made into Fried Rice.
- Some rice needs rinsing in cold water before you cook it, for example Basmati, so make sure you do that first
- All microwaves are different, but generally you will add twice as much boiling water as rice – for example, one cup of rice – two cups of boiling water
- Put rice and boiling water in microwave container with no lid
- Press the Cooking Rice button on your microwave
- Most microwaves will stop part way through cooking and prompt you to stir the rice
- IMPORTANT TIP – this is where I drain the rice and add fresh boiling water before putting it back into the microwave – the reason I do this is because it gets rid of a lot of the starch that makes rice sticky
- Return to the microwave and continue cooking until the microwave ‘pings’ to tell you it’s ready
- Drain off any excess liquid, stand for a minute or two then fluff up and serve
- TIP – if you are cooking brown rice in the microwave, add around 10 minutes of extra cooking time and more boiling water
- Rice freezes well, so don’t worry if you make too much
For brown rice, follow the instructions above with these additional steps:-
- At point 6 above, add more boiling water than you tipped out – about twice as much.
- At point 7 above, return to the microwave and increase the cooking time by ten minutes, then continue cooking until the microwave ‘pings’ to tell you it’s ready.
Thanks for visiting my website.