Sticky, soggy pasta is not nice, so here are some handy tips on cooking pasta so that it is Al dente.
- Always add pasta to boiling water – and use plenty of water
- To save energy, boil water in the kettle and add to the pan. It’s much quicker and will save energy.
- Have a full kettle of boiling water handy, in case you need to add more water to the pan – don’t add cold, it will delay cooking and could make the pasta sticky and soggy
To avoid sticky pasta
- Always cook in plenty of boiling water and stir occasionally to stop pasta sticking together
- Once cooked, drain and serve as soon as possible
- If the cooked pasta is sitting around in a sieve for a while before serving it could go a bit sticky – pouring boiling water from a kettle over the pasta will help and also heat up the pasta again
Made too much pasta?
- Great! If you’ve made too much pasta just run cold water over the extra, drain and store in the fridge. The cold water rinse will help prevent it going sticky
- To reheat cooked pasta from the fridge, put pasta in a bowl and cover with boiling water from the kettle. Leave for a minute, drain, then serve with your favorite pasta sauce (don’t microwave it – it will go sticky)
Thanks for reading my Cooking Pasta post. You might like to try pasta with carbonara – see below.
Click here for Carbonara in Ten Minutes