I got the idea for this chowder after making Jamie Oliver’s Smoky Haddock Corn Chowder.
Preparation time is around ten minutes and cooking time between 15 and 20 minutes.
Chicken and Vegetable Chowder – Ingredients
- Olive Oil for frying
- 4 rashers bacon, finely chopped
- small bunch spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 or 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cut into small chunks
- 1 chicken breast, chopped
- 1 or 2 corn on the cob – kernels removed (or you can use frozen)
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme (or you can use dried)
- 1 litre / 32 fl oz chicken stock
- 125 ml / 4 fl oz milk (I use soy milk)
- Ground black pepper and a good pinch of salt
Chicken and Vegetable Chowder – Method
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan and fry the bacon until golden
- Add the spring onions and stir
- Add the potatoes and carrots and stir again for a minute of two
- Add the chicken and corn kernels and stir again
- Add the thyme and chicken stock
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the milk and cook for a few minutes longer
- Before serving, use a potato masher to mash a small portion of the chowder (this will thicken it slightly) and season with black pepper and salt to taste
Handy Hints and Variations
- Jamie’s smoky haddock version is obviously a great variation
- You could try adding different vegetables, such as broccoli, peas, broad beans, etc.
- It’s a good idea to have all your veggies chopped before you start cooking
- If you don’t have chicken stock, use water and add a stock cube (stock cubes are salty, so you probably wont need to add more salt at the end)
Hope you enjoy this Chicken and Vegatable Chowder.
Thanks for visiting my website.
You can follow Dinner in Ten Minutes on Facebook.
You might also enjoy: